Thursday, June 14, 2007

Lawrance kids Germany Days 2 & 3

Yesterday morning, I went to class while Ken and Megan went on a double-decker bus tour of Hamburg. German lesson #3 was to "DUCK". Apparently the route has a few low-hanging branches. In the afternoon, we picked Scott up at the airport after his presentation in Manchester (ask him about eating pig cheeks and faggots sometime).

We all ventured to Lübeck and Travemünde. Dinner was at the Kartoffel Keller or Potato Basement. While we were there, Scott tried to learn German. He learned "Ich spreche kein Deutsch." or "I speak no German" by remembering his fish had ick. Numbers were remembered by the movie Cool Running "Ein! Zwei! Drei! Cool Running!" Goodbye or "Tschüss" was more difficult but then when he realized that it was a combination of juice and Choo Choo, he was golden. Now he's a pro.

Megan is not only learning pieces of the language, but she's learning her way around the city. Since she was here longer, she got to see more of life and not just touristy things.

Today the crew visited Schloss Schwerin in the morning and then I joined them for touring Hamburg in the afternoon. Dinner was at a Bavarian restaurant with authentic music. Once again, Megan's thoughts on the day are great!

"German lesson #4: McDonald's tastes so much better in a foreign country!

Kristy went to class again this morning and Scott, Ken and I went to a castle about an hour and a half north of Hamburg. It was pretty cool even though there was a lot of construction going on (scaffolding can ruin a picture!). After we finished we went to McDonald's for lunch. YUMMY!!!!! MUCH better than the cheeseburger I had on Tuesday. I now fully appreciate why Americans go to foreign countries and eat at McDonald's...comfort food!"

I'll update this entry with pictures tomorrow (I have to download pictures from Megan), so scroll back to this entry later.

No comments: