Wednesday, September 19, 2007

Fun with Language

Learning a language is always humbling and sometimes entertaining. Last night, I was speaking with Thomas, a guy in our Bible Study about Saturday night's "Nacht der Kirchen" or Night of Churches. Unfortunately, because I have trouble with the very throaty "cht" sound (to the American ear this is the sound you make when clearing phlegm from your throat- not a pleasant sound), my pronunciation came out more like "nackt" or the German word for naked. I was basically discussing naked churches.

The others in the group went on to think of other examples. Judy told us about a card she had seen with a mouse and a broom that said "Take Kehr (pronounced care)". Kehren is the German word for sweeping.

Another one is the word "Gift". A present to us and poison to Germans.

2 comments:

Derek Roesener said...

I can share with you sometime my experience in asking one of my employees in Mexico where his penis was. At least I asked this to a male employee that presumably did have what I was asking about.

Anonymous said...

Seen on Scandinavian Airlines salt/pepper packet:

Pepper has been called "the gift of the East", though "gift" means poison in Swedish, don't let that put you off

I liked it so much I kept it and put it in my scrapbook... =)