Thursday, September 8, 2011

Josh's summer in review

I have been negligent once again in updating this blog. I’ve been taking Josh notes over the last few months. Here are some glimpses of the life and times of Joshua William…




Some of you may remember that I planted some seeds when Josh was a month old. Here is his tree!



Aggie is Josh's buddy. He wants to be just like her, so he fusses until I put the collar on him. I took it away that day and he bawled.




"Little Hands on the Farm" at the Indiana State Fair.


Josh with his cousins, Ethan and Allison. Happy Fourth of July.



Playing in the sprinkler.



Pool with Daddy.


June 14: He went through a phase after an ear infection where he put everything in his ears. He didn’t understand that peas are not the same as cotton balls. Last night Ken went up in the attic and some insulation fell. This morning it was in Josh’s ears.


He’s picking up words daily. At this time his words included: apple, “she” (fishie), “bopper” (diaper), ball, ma ma, da da, “tee” (teeth), uh oh (this was his first word), and “boo” (book).


He loves to read books. He will page through them alone. His favorites are: “The Itsy Bitsy Spider,” “How Big?” and “The Hungry Caterpiller”. He does motions to the first two.


He has started learning animal sounds. “Key” (kitty) say “mou” and the cow says “ooo”.


We’ve been teaching him baby sign language for words that he cannot say. He knows how to sign: more, milk, eat, drink, and please.

June 21: Josh woke up and started talking to himself. He was saying “Key mou” (Kitty meow).



June 22: Josh continues to pick up words. He has added: eat, ear, baa (sheep sound), and “pee” (piggy). All dogs are “Add-ies” (after our dog, Aggie).


July 5: After breakfast, Josh went straight to his books. We had spent the weekend at the lake and he missed his toys. He collected a few books and took them to the bottom step of the stairwell to “read”.


July 6: Josh picked up his seahorse stuffed animal. I told him that it was a seahorse and he neighed.

July 14: We noticed Josh getting his first molars.


July 17: Josh learned a bad word this weekend, “MINE”.


July 19: Josh learned how to get up on the sofa.


Early August: Josh started speaking in two word sentences. Some of our favorite new words that he says are: “I cow” (I don’t know), “wower” (flower), “tur-dle” (turtle).

August 20: Josh ate his first meal at the table. It was only dry pancakes, but he thought he was big stuff. Now he thinks that the table is pretty cool. We caught him climbing up onto the chair and then up onto the table.




Baking with Mommy


We taught Josh the sign for help. He LOVES to help. To keep him from playing in the dog food, I let him “help” me pour the kibble into Aggie’s bowl. He helps put his clothes in the laundry basket and his toys away. I let him stand up on a chair to help bake zucchini bread a few weeks ago. He likes that so much that I cannot cook anything anymore without him wanting to help. We quickly had to teach the word “hot”. So now he says “hot” and blows (to cool hot food). It is adorable. We baked sugar cookies this weekend. He learned rapidly that cookie dough is yummy. I couldn’t stop him from eating it. I had to push his chair away from the counter to keep him out of it.

Helping Mommy water the "wowers".

September 1- Josh continues to learn words every day. I think that he looks like Ken but got his mom’s talkative personality. The only problem is pronunciation. He really likes trucks- especially dump trucks. Unfortunately he pronounces “truck” “fruck”. Adding the “dump”, often without the p, makes it sound like he is cursing at us. He got fussy in DSW shoe store and started begging for his truck. I had to explain to another customer that he wasn’t really saying what she thought he was saying.


September 5- Josh ate dog poop. I just wasn’t fast enough…


September 8- This will be a post in itself...

1 comment:

Missy said...

What a great recap of the summer!! I need to come visit you guys! I think I would have paid admission to see the whole DSW episode on Sept 6th (or was it the 7th or the 8th? can't remember)...I laughed so hard when I read that!!! :) Sounds like life with little Josh is getting to be more adventurous every day!