Sunday, February 25, 2007

New friends and gizmos

Yesterday (Saturday) was my best day in Germany yet. Ken and I spent some good quality time together during the day including our first shopping spree. We took the U-bahn to the Saturn electronics store downtown. This puts any other electronics store that I have ever been to to shame. It had not only the TV’s, Computers, washers, and ovens that our HHGregg’s or Best Buy would have but also has every other thing with a plug that you would ever need. I had the choice of 20-25 different kinds of curling irons and 30-40 blow dryers. It was overwhelming but definitely one-stop shopping.

In the evening, we went to the Asia Garden buffet with the members of our new church, the International Baptist Church of Hamburg. Everyone was so friendly. We got a chance to chat with the pastor and his wife and make some friends. We met Meggan from St. Louis who has been in Germany for the last 6 years. It was a flashback to my first meeting with my dear Jenn C. This woman passionately loves Jesus, seeks out newcomers to connect on a deep level with, and was a graphic design major. We had a science major- art major moment that made my smile. We met a couple about our age Steve and Tina. He’s a financial planner from Great Britain and she’s busy with three children 3, 6, and 7. He was very outgoing and really connected with Ken. The evening was topped by karaoke. The Filipinos led this activity with gusto!

This morning, the sun was out!!! (Not common here, I’ve learned.) Before church, Ken and I took a 2 mile walk to the Alster Lake. I then got to go to church here for the first time. It was a wonderful experience of diversity. Too often in the US, the Asians go to one church, the blacks go to a few churches, and the whites go to the rest (and then don’t get along). Here all the races met together in one church. I have never been to such a diverse church. I loved it. After the service, the Filipinos made lunch for everyone down in the basement. They are clearly the servant leaders of this congregation. I can’t wait to go back next Sunday.

Kristy

No comments: