Today after we set up our German “Haspa” bank account, Ken went to work. I had a conscious choice to make. The jet lag and loneliness set in when he left, so I decided to get out of the flat and go running. Ken warned me before he left that I’d better be careful since I did not know my way around. I told him that I only needed to go east and I’d get to the Alster Lake. I had wanted to run there since we toured the city in January. He then asked me the brilliant question, “Which way is east?” On a cloudy day, I admitted that I hadn’t a clue. He said that our street is east/west, so that helped. I started out walking south and found a nice park with a ¼ mile running track. I ran a mile on that before getting bored. I’ve been so spoiled running in Lawrence. I then walked on and actually found the Alster. I needed this boost of encouragement- to find something here without Ken’s help. I ran a little there and came home.
In the afternoon, I ventured to Budni and the grocery store. Budni is a CVS or Walgreens type store without the pharmacy (a separate store). My adventure there was to buy laundry detergent. I had my handheld translator, but all the words were not in the dictionary, so I had to do some guessing. We’ll see of our clothes turn blue or something!
The next stop was the grocery. I only bought about 15 items and spent well over an hour there. You know how challenging going to a new grocery in a different city is. “Your” Kroger is arranged in a specific way and even if it is another Kroger, things are in a different place. Then
add the challenge of having all the food in a foreign language. Buying cheddar cheese had me nearly in tears. I walked up and down the packaged cheese aisle and translated each type hoping that it would come out Cheddar. (Of course my dictionary did not have that word, so I did not know what I was looking for.) I finally found it in the deli. I was blessed with an English-speaking employee there. He also helped me buy a ½ kg of hamburger.
In the afternoon, I ventured to Budni and the grocery store. Budni is a CVS or Walgreens type store without the pharmacy (a separate store). My adventure there was to buy laundry detergent. I had my handheld translator, but all the words were not in the dictionary, so I had to do some guessing. We’ll see of our clothes turn blue or something!
The next stop was the grocery. I only bought about 15 items and spent well over an hour there. You know how challenging going to a new grocery in a different city is. “Your” Kroger is arranged in a specific way and even if it is another Kroger, things are in a different place. Then
add the challenge of having all the food in a foreign language. Buying cheddar cheese had me nearly in tears. I walked up and down the packaged cheese aisle and translated each type hoping that it would come out Cheddar. (Of course my dictionary did not have that word, so I did not know what I was looking for.) I finally found it in the deli. I was blessed with an English-speaking employee there. He also helped me buy a ½ kg of hamburger. As many of you know, my comfort food is ice cream, so I headed to the ice cream aisle. I couldn’t see anything that was vanilla other than “Bourbon-Vanille”. I really did not want liquor ice cream, but after the stress of shopping, I needed ice cream desperately. Another lady saw me keying in the word“Bourbon”. She knew English and told me that it didn’t have liquor in it. She also helped me find the mayonnaise. I had a headache by the time I left.

4 comments:
Hey, Barilla Pasta sauce! So I guess some things are like home, huh? :)
Glad you guys had a safe trip, and I look forward to hearing more about life in Germany!
Love, Cheeseburger
Kristy, I just read the ntoe about the grocery shopping. What an experience that must have been. I assumed that they would have American stores there too.
Love Mom
PS I really am going to enjoy all of the news but it did not encourage me much to hear about the flight. i really hope I don't have to travel aone or you may never see me.
Wow...that is some culture shock!!! I can't imagine going to a grocery store and everything is in a different language. Well, not doing that on a consistent basis I mean. When I was in Turkey, some shops everything was labeled in Turkish as you would expect, but it usually wasn't too difficult to find someone who spoke English.
I have to agree with cheeseburger, you have to love Barilla pasta sauce! :) Hang in there guys!
Hope things are going better today for you!
Erin:)
Ken and Kristy:
Glad to hear you made it to Germany safely and are getting settled in. I chuckled about your adventure in the grocery store. I had some of the same experiences the first time I went shopping in Mexico. There are still some items I look for in the stores and cannot find. I had to go to 3 different stores to find powdered sugar (azucar glass in Spanish).
But, I love shopping. To me it is an adventure to see all the local items and learn to eat new things. Have fun.
Derek
Post a Comment