Tuesday, April 1, 2008

Job and other stuff update

I have been in my new job for 4 weeks now. I love the program that I am working for. Making the health care system easier for the aged, blind, and disabled is the mission for me. It has been a little strange being in the "private sector" or "on the other side of the table" after working in state government for 7.5 years, but that has been really good for me. I have already made a public presentation and trained new staff on state and federal Medicaid policy. Last week I learned that I'm not cut out for a data entry job. We had a huge end of the month contract requirement to me and all staff were fighting to meet it. It was tough but unifying as a team.

Other news... I'm training for the Indianapolis Mini marathon. I got to run with Cassie and Jenn on Saturday, two of the ladies that I trained for the Chicago Marathon with. I didn't realize how lonely running was in Germany. I only ran with friends 5 times there. When I ran 3 times a week almost all year, that is a lot of alone running. Even running with Aggie is better than running alone. I'm also using this race to raise funds for Camp Lutherhaven. My goal is to raise $50 per mile. I wish that I could say that I will run faster if I beat that goal, but I'd be lying. (Not a good thing to do when you're raising funds for church camp!)

I also did a little yard work this past weekend. I reseeded our yard and cleaned out a few flowerbeds. The feeling of dirt under my fingernails was some that I really missed in Germany. I tried a window garden there, but failed miserably.

We've had good times with family- especially Scott and Megan and Ethan. We're starting the little guy out young. As is the rule with Bredemeiers and Sebolds, Lawrance children must learn to play cards young. Why not from birth? Look at that serious look and the furrowed brow.

1 comment:

Wisener Family said...

Welcome Home!!!
Good Luck training for the Mini (I am sending my donation in the mail). My new project is blogging, wish me luck. Keep in touch. Lots of Love, Mandi :)