James 1:2 "Consider it pure joy my brothers whenever you face trials of many kinds."
I woke up coughing this morning before the rest of the family. It wasn't the happiest way to wake up, but I grabbed my Bible and cuddled up on my in-laws' sofa to make the best of it. All of the sudden, in walks Casey the cat. All of you know that I am 100% a dog person. I've never had a cat and don't really care for them beyond the care that I have for all animals in general. Casey and I have been up early in the past and the only attention that I get is a screaming meow to let her outside. Her sister Kelsey would actually allow me to pet her, but Casey never wanted any attention from me in the 5 years that I've known her other than to be let out. Wouldn't you know, that this morning, she jumped onto my lap to be pet and curled up in a ball between my legs. I was dumb-founded.
So I had the joy this morning of doing my Bible Study with a warm, cozy cat on my lap. The lesson today was on Jesus raising Lazarus from the dead. It asked the question about why Jesus would allow losses in life. One of the reasons discussed was to show his glory. It occurred to me that in a tiny way, Jesus was personalizing this through Casey the cat. I learned a really big lesson today, I could have begun my morning grouchy over waking up coughing (minor "loss" compared to the death of a loved one, I know). Or I could CHOOSE joy. It is an everyday choice. It is a choice that I want to make a big part of my 2010.
How, Kristy? Well, I think the first way is to pray. Jesus promises joy as one of the fruits of the Spirit. It is there for the taking. Ask for it.
The second is to look backward. My brother, Jeff, had wonderful words for our family on Christmas Day. He challenged us to look at all the good things that had happened. Despite economic downturn, we still all had warm houses. We had family around us to celebrate the holiday- a truth that he'd taken for granted until moving the California and celebrating several holidays away from the family. And, our countries' people are all in the top % of the worlds wealth- even the poorest in our nation have food and health care. Here are some that come to mind for me:
- Eternal life and amazing friends that I've met through church (my church family)
- A great, loving husband and family
- An easy, healthy pregnancy
- My mother-in-law who is winning the battle with cancer
- A dog that is SO excited to see me- even if I've been gone 5 minutes
- Looking out at Big Long Lake or Lake Webster early in the morning- any season of the year
- Ice cream
- A jog along a wooded road
- Raspberries straight from the bush
- Surrounding yourself with people who are joy-filled.
- Taking care of your body- when we're sick or tired, joy is hard to find.
- Learning from past mistakes
I'd love to see things that make you joyful. Feel free to post them as comments to this entry. We can all learn JOY from each other.
Kristy

No comments:
Post a Comment