Thank you for all of your blog responses and e-mails. They are treasured by both of us. To put all concerns to rest, grocery shopping has gotten a little easier. Ken's co-worker Suzanne took me to one and translated for me so that I could stock up on supplies. It is bigger, less expensive (YEAH!), and better organized than the first. Package directions are still a task to translate, but I found a website that helps with that.
Ken and I are settling in well- much better than I expected. I think that the main reason for this is IBC. Saturday was the dinner, Sunday was church and lunch after, Tuesday I met with Meggan for coffee, and last night was the Young Adults Group Bible Study. Immediate socialization- the cure for any lonliness. The first task last night was finding the place. It was the first time that I'd tried to find a place by myself at night via subway and street. I didn't get lost!
There were about 15 in the group- about half German and the rest were from Latvia, U.S., Brazil, Switzerland, and some other places. The group reminded me of the youth group meeting we went to in Chile (except that it was in English not Spanish). The schedule was longer than we are used to in the States. I've noticed that this is common in most other countries. We are too bounded by time in our worship and God time. It was slated to start at 7:00 but didn't really get rolling until about 7:35. Then we sang worship songs until 8, prayed for around 45 minutes and did the study until a little before 10. Then the group socialized for a while after that.
The are working through One Anothering by Richard C. Meyer. It is a study for developing small group bonds based on the sections in the Bible that say do x for "one another". It is the perfect complement to the Jesus Creed that E91 is doing. Last night was care for one another and focused in on listening skills. One of the gals said, "Listening is so much like loving that most people can't tell the difference." This really taught me a lot.
There is SO much power for the church in small groups. My biggest growth as a Christian has been not in a church on Sunday mornings but in small groups. I have also gained my closest friends in my small groups. Pastors in a pulpit can't always notice if you are struggling with something, need help, have questions, or just need a hug. The group of 5-15 people that you meet with each week WILL notice those needs. If you want a Bible reason, look at the example of the early church in Acts 2:42-47 specifically the second half of verse 46. Even better yet, look at the example that Jesus had a small group of 12 that he lived life with, studies the Word, and taught. If you are reading this and are not in a small group, I would really encourage you to find one. (For you Indiana readers, I may be able to find you one.)
Lastly, I start language classes on Monday. I will be going from 8:50-1:00 five days a week for a month. Talk about German boot camp! After a month, I can re-evaluate the frequency. In the mean time, I have been studying the language with computer software. I gave myself the goal of spending 4 hours a day on it. I haven't quite done this much due to errands, deliveries and apartment repairs, but I think that the study which I have done will help in my classes.
Kristy
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment