Friday, I decided to make Ken's favorite enchiladas. This recipe (as due many of my favorite recipes) requires cream of chicken or mushroom soup. Turns out that they don't have those here. Ken wanted them so bad that he got on-line and found a recipe for homemade cream of chicken soup. And I, being the dutiful wife, actually made said soup. I had to call Grandpa Sebold to determine how many ounces are in a can and try to match that up with the recipe. My estimate was off, so I ended up with half as many ounces as needed. They also don't have chopped green chilies, so I used jalapenos. At least here I was smart to use only 1/4 the amount since they are a hotter pepper. Add to all of this the fact that we had no cheddar or "Mexican" cheese and had to use "pizza blend" and these enchiladas were nothing like the recipe. Live and learn, I suppose!
On Saturday, Ken took me to Wal-Mart for the first time. We went crazy since we had the car and could shop without the thought of how to walk home with our purchases. The amusing part was the "American" food section. What would you think that they would stock there?
- Pancake syrup
- Campbell's Tomato Soup
- Hershey's chocolate
- Mustard
- E-Z Cheese (Cheese in a can)
- Baking Soda (this I had been looking for, so I was very happy)
- Cake mixes for 5€ ($7) - I was very glad that customs did not confiscate the 6 boxes of cake mix I packed. The church was glad, too, because I made Pillsbury cupcakes with frosting for Sunday's pot luck pitch-in.
Today, I had my first language class. My brain is fried. It was four hours long and all in German. Mrs. Petroff may have done that to us in 3rd year Spanish at Concordia, but certainly Mrs. Teague never did that in the first year class. However, they really don't have any choice because the class is from all over the world. We had 3 from Thailand, 2 from the US, and one from Iran, France, Argentina, Korea, Canada, Palestine, Turkey and England. A number of the students speak English, so at least we could really talk at break. I'm sure that I'll really learn a lot in this course.

4 comments:
Mmmm...pizza enchiladas! :) It sounds like you're doing well adapting to your new home and the new stores and food, etc!
I can identify with the "fried brain" issue too - I get that way when I sit in on some of the meetings we have at work. It's almost like they're speaking a foreign language, to me!
Here's something you can say that can impress your new Turkish friend in your German class: "Merhaba! Ben Kristy! Senin adin ne?" :) (Hi! I'm Kristy. What's your name?")
See? My two semesters of Turkish are good for something! ;)
Yeah, but make sure you don't say "Cok guzel" when you're referring to yourself. I think it means "I'm beautiful" and that could be a turn on to some guys. Ask Angie Harris. :) haha! I think she got marriage proposals.
I was at Meijer on Monday and cake mixes were 3 for $5.00. i suppose that my extra suit case will be full of those and cans of cream soup. We just don't know how fortunate we are until we don't have some things.
love Mom
Wow, interesting variation for Enchiladas. Have you tried any other recipe variations or should I say "German Converted Recipes"? This was a very amusing story! I'll keep my eyes peeled for the missing ingredients and for a good conversion chart for you!
So, what are some of the common meals in Germany, like how America has Hamburgers, French Fries, and Pizza available at most every place. I'm sure there are some staples they have besides brat's (what a clueless statement) please apologize on my behalf if any of your new German friends read this crazy comment I'm posting LOL.
Post a Comment