Ken finally convinced me after 3 straight sleepless night that I needed to go to the doctor. I've been playing with a bug since last Tuesday and have been coughing my lungs out since Friday. It was so bad that it would take me 1.5-2 hours to fall asleep because the coughing would worsen when I would lie down. Then it would wake me up every 1-2 hours. It was a huge celebration when I stayed sleeping 5 hours.
So I called my friend Judith. She made an appointment for me with her doctor. I have to admit that I was scared. She assured me that to become a doctor, people have to learn English. She was right.
So I have sinusitis and now am on an antibiotic and a cough suppressant to take at night so that I can sleep. YEAH!
There are two observations that I've made in my German medical experience.
1.) They took a blood sample. Dr. Yerks never took my blood for sinusitis. The tech that took it didn't wear gloves. She didn't touch my "wound", so I'm not worried about myself, but she did handle the blood vials. I thought that was really strange and unsafe. Maybe the US is more worried than the rest of the world.
2.) German medication is administered differently. Ken and I have had a few colds here and have about 5 different medications. Two of them were drops that you shake onto your tongue. Two were tablets that you dissolve in water and then drink. Then my antibiotic was a normal pill. The dissolving tablets and the drops are disgusting. Why can't then just give me pills? I suppose it is faster-acting, but I'm willing to wait!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

3 comments:
I'm glad to hear that you've taken care of things, and are now on the mend. As soon as I saw the title of your message, I knew it'd be a German/English medical saga. I didn't know, however about either of your "observations".
Others more in the know may have a better feel for this, but I know that there are still various versions of drawing blood here in the U.S. The newer, better version is gloves at all times, but there's still some old school work being done where no glove is used, or the finger of the glove removed (to help feel the vein). Your description, then, doesn't really shock me.
My pharmacist (dad) would know more than me, but the methods for your medications sound interesting. Too bad they didn't agree with you more! :-)
While you're regaining your health, I'm still praying for your complete recovery. Get well soon!!
Mark
Yucky Sick =( Feel Better!! ~HUG~
I would bring you soup, but you don't live around the corner... =(
I'm sorry to hear that you're sick :(
It must have been reassuring to have an english speaking doctor.
I'll be praying for you both with your illnesses.
On a similar note - if you're interested I can try to ship you a package with Airborn in it. Do you think this would pose a problem with customs?
-Choves
Post a Comment