Sunday, August 5, 2007

I spoke German!

Periodically, people will ask me how my German classes are doing. How do I answer that? Yes, I've completed level A1 and am the 8th of 10 lessons in A2. That probably won't mean a thing to anyone.

Here's where it really counts. This morning I went running with three German gals and was talking to them in German! We went about 3.4 miles and probably 2.75 was in German. This was a big moment for me. Not only do I have German friends, but I was sorta talking in their language.

In my first months here, I worried about going to an English-speaking church that I wouldn't get to know any Germans. God certainly wasn't going to let that happen. I'm in 2 Bible Studies and both have Germans in them. They all give me tests on my speaking. It is hard to talk about God stuff, Pilates, or emotions and feelings, but we at least can do the small talk stuff in German.

Baby steps...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Cool! I can remember when we were studying Spanish in high school, thinking "that's a bridge I'll never cross", i.e. making the leap from the "book" knowledge to being able to really converse in a language. `Course, my Spanish wasn't that great by our 3rd year or so anyway...
Congratulations on this milestone! Next stop, God stuff, Pilates, emotions, feelings, or at least on to the medium talk stuff :-)

Pacem,

Mark

Anonymous said...

That's exciting!

This sounds like you're getting by pretty well in this different language.

On a joking matter - If nothing else, at least be able to ask where the bathroom is located and where you can get a bottle of water to drink. Other than that I think it's funny to communicate without the ability to verbalize sometimes.

--Choves