Tuesday, November 6, 2007

The German 2-part wedding

One of the things that I've enjoyed doing with this blog is sharing with you things that I've learned about German culture. This item I first learned about on the reality show, "Frank der Wedding Planner." This is that Germans have two weddings. They first have a legal wedding and then have their church wedding. The first is legal and the other is optional (at least I think so).

Last week, I went to the legal wedding of my friends Grit and Mahi. Theirs is a romantic story. This couple was one of the first I met when I got here last year. At that time (March) they were waiting on "the papers" so that they could get married. Apparently it is very difficult in Germany for a German to marry and "Auslander" or foreigner in Germany. Mahi is from India. The paperwork is immense and must go back and forth between the two countries. I haven't figured out if marriage conveys some sort of citizenship or citizenship-like rights here. If so, maybe these papers are similar to our immigration papers. Many do not want to wait for the paperwork and just leave the country to get married. The easiest is to go to Denmark. Last winter, I asked Mahi why they didn't just go to Denmark. He looked at me and said without hesitation, "Because she is worth the work." WOW! I knew that this was a solid relationship when he demonstrated that he wasn't going to take any shortcuts to get her as a wife.
Single gal friends- remember that you are worth fighting for!!
Single male friends- fight for her if you love her!

No comments: