
The second dive was even better. The dive master took the group through a swim-through. I had had too many of those on the first dive. On the boat, the dive master told us that if we did not want to go through them, we could follow the bubbles on top of the reef. I started the dive with 300 lbs less air and did not want to use it up on a swim-through. As I followed the bubbles, I looked up and about 4 feet away from me with a fish cleaning its underside was a spotted eagle ray. It is my favorite sea creature. I was thrilled. I got to watch it a few moments until it swam one direction and the current took me the opposite. No one else in our group saw it. The divers on the other boat saw it and were talking about it on shore. My guess is that they are not as common here as in Belize. We don’t have a picture of one from this trip since photographer Ken was under the coral at the time. I’m posting an old one from Belize to remind you of what an eagle ray looks like.

We also decided to try a night dive tonight. It was only my second night dive ever and the last one was 10 years ago. I was a little nervous. Fortunately, I calmed down as soon as I got down and starting seeing the things that we never see during the day. We saw sharp-tail eel, Spanish lobster, puffer fish (not puffed though), yellow stingrays, flounder, spiny lobster, squid, anemone, and more. It was a good dive as well.


No comments:
Post a Comment