Monday, July 9, 2007

ROME PART 2 and VENICE PART 1

Saturday July 7 (cont)
-We did go to the recommended restaurant. We learned an interesting thing about "real Italian" meals. You put a meal together piece by piece. You order a salad, pasta, meat, and (if desired) a dessert and antipasti all separate. The guy we had met at the Spanish steps told us about a package deal that included a pasta, salad, meat, wine and dessert for 23 euro. I just knew that Mom and I could not eat all of that food, so Jeff and I decided to just order a meat and a dessert and split hers. BIG mistake. Those group packages are portion sizes that are 1/4 to 1/2 the size of a regular portion. Jeff and I starved. It was a really expensive disappointment.

Sunday July 8
-Another hot day in Rome. We got up early to beat the crowds at the Colosseum. Once again the line was really long when we got out. It was impressive to visit one of the "New 7 Wonders of the World" the day after it was announced. I really wish that I would have taken a guided tour of this. We heard some of the guides as they walked by and they stories that they told of the ancient Romans were really interesting.
-After that, we visited the nearby Roman Forum. By this time, we were hot and tired. We rented audio-guides, but they were rather confusing. The "guide" would start talking about ruins on the right and left and if you were in the wrong spot or facing the wrong direction, you were really lost.
-We got back to the hotel early afternoon and all collapsed. I think that all five of us took a nap. Note to future European travelers, make sure to schedule yourself some down time to rest. Touring is exhausting.

Monday July 9
-We took the train to Venice. We then had the afternoon to walk around and look at the sites.
-We love our hotel. It is called the Hotel Paganelli. It is an old convent right on the water. Each room is different and decorated with antiques and there is a garden and a rooftop patio. I would consider it closer to a bed and breakfast than a hotel. And it was less expensive than other places. Book here if you are ever in Venice.

Kristy

No comments: