Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Turning Baby Lawrance

We first got the news that our Little Guy was breech at our ultrasound between Christmas and New Year's. That was only around 29 weeks. The doctor was not at all worried because most babies turn on their own between 30-36 weeks. At 32 weeks no change. I started researching what to do to get babies to turn and over the last two weeks. I've tried a couple of them: Swimming is one way, putting ice on my belly is another, and then there is my absolute favorite- lying feet up on an ironing board propped up on the sofa. (I should have Ken take a picture of this for the scrapbook!) Well, I had another doctor's appointment today. It didn't work. He's still head up. I'm scheduled for an ultrasound in two weeks for the final verdict. If he's still breech, I'll have the choice between an external cephalic version and an c-section. The version is a procedure where the doctors try to turn the baby. This is done in the hospital. They'll give me meds to relax the uterus muscles and then try to turn him. In first time moms, there is a 50-50 chance of success. There is also the risk that the baby could have problems and I could have an emergency c-section that day. (If you are in any way doing the math here, I'll be at 37 weeks then. That will also be the week after we move into the new house.) They wait until 37 weeks to try the version so that the baby will be pretty close to full-term.

I haven't been taking the news very well. I've probably cried 4 times today. Little Guy is healthy, so I should be rejoicing. Instead, I'm feeling like a failure as a pregnant woman and blaming myself for doing something wrong to end up in the 3-4% of women with breech babies. I'm also terrified of a c-section and the recovery process. Please pray for us. And if anyone wants to bring their ironing board over to keep me company, you are more than welcome.

3 comments:

Ewe said...

Don't give up hope yet-there's still time. I have a college friend that now lives in FW that had this procedure done and she delivered a little boy naturally a few months ago. It was her second birth, but this procedure worked. I'm sure you have a good doctor there and I know this is easier to say to you than to do, but don't panic. Worse case is you have to have a c-section which means longer recovery, but not the end of the world. We just want a healthy and happy Master Lawrence in the end!

Ewe said...

I think you should take a photo of this for the scrapbook!
I also wanted to say that if timing works out wrong for house moving, I'm sure you have lots and lots of friends to help with moving-baby and your health are more important than unpacking. Even if things don't get put in place for 4 or more months, you will get through it.
You are not a failure as a pregnant woman and this is not your fault.
I forgot to say that we're praying too. :)

Erin said...

Well, Kristy if you have to do a c-section, 1. you are not a failure as a mom!!!, and 2. a planned one is way more easier to recover from than an unplanned one. Trust me, I've done it both ways. It took me weeks to recover from Katelynn and I was about up to speed within a week after Abby. (I was still sore of course, but I could walk normally and do 95% of what I could do before the delivery.)

Whatever happens, you'll do great! I know it! And it's okay to cry and get out all that emotion. I cried and cried after I found out Abby was a girl (really wanted a boy), but once I saw her, all the misgivings and disappointment vanished. I think the same might be true for you however you deliver. At least I hope so and will be praying for that. Big hugs! Call me if you need to! :) Oh and congrats on the new house! woo hoo!