Ines took us to Basel for Fastnacht (Carnival). Ken and I were really hesitant to go after what we’d heard about Mardi Gras in the US. She convinced us that it was nothing like it. She was right. The activity during the after was a parade that was part a drum/piccolo marching band and part Halloween. I’ve never seen so many piccolo players. All the musicians are dressed up in outlandish outfits. They wear masks with mouth holes. In between the marching bands were “floats” with other dressed up characters passing out stuff and throwing confetti on the crowd. We got flowers, candy, a stuffed animal, a vegetable, a number of oranges, Vicks throat lozenges, tissues, and shampoo samples- a random assortment of junk.I need to then say something about the confetti. It was insane. There were kids shoving it down our shirts. I had it all over me and took it back to Sursee in my shirt.
I’ll let the pictures tell the rest of the story.
Kristy







No comments:
Post a Comment