Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Godliness with Contentment

I (Kristy) have been having a wonderful time on this trip. I've had quality time with both my husband and my little brother (who, for a kid brother is doing GREAT in the grown-up world of San Diego- I'm so proud) and have seen so many exciting things.

However, this afternoon my heart grew really heavy. God opened my eyes to see how greedy I was getting. I woke up early this morning and all I could think about was what I needed to say to get on the Price is Right to win something. Then through the whole game, I was thinking, "Pick Me!" so that I could win stuff. We went to Rodeo Drive and I saw all the expensive stuff that I'd never be able to afford. We drove through Beverly Hills and Santa Monica and I wondered how much each of the houses cost. Throughout the entire day, I was consumed with wealth and riches.

As we left Rodeo Drive, the Holy Spirit placed I Timothy 6:6 on my heart, "6But godliness with contentment is great gain." In this time of falling 401(k)s and unemployment, is Kristy content? Can she go to LA and be content? The answer today, unfortunately, was no.

When I got home, I read the rest of the passage:
"7For we brought nothing into the world, and we can take nothing out of it. 8But if we have food and clothing, we will be content with that. 9People who want to get rich fall into temptation and a trap and into many foolish and harmful desires that plunge men into ruin and destruction. 10For the love of money is a root of all kinds of evil. Some people, eager for money, have wandered from the faith and pierced themselves with many griefs."

I could type out all the thoughts that the rest of the passage brought to mind, but you can probably guess them.

Dear Lord,
Teach us all to be content...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Great thoughts Kristy. I can understand how anyone can be easily distracted by all the glitz and glamour and "stuff" out there (or anywhere else...but particularly in a place where showy displays of wealth are a normal part of life...)...I certainly would be distracted by all that!! Thanks for sharing what God has put on your heart.

On a lighter note - it's been really fun reading your posts and seeing the pictures!!! I'm glad you and Ken are having such a good time out there!! I'm jealous (in the fun, lighthearted sense of course, not the consuming, deadly-sin kind of way!!)...I've always wanted to go to CA!!