Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Birthday Recap (Part 1)

We've had many requests for an update on the first day, so I'm finally getting them up now, due to some abnormal situations from the day (mostly surrounding dad).

Kristy and I showed up at the hospital promptly at 7:30am and checked in. After the quick checkin, we were whisked upstairs to the pre op room. Kristy's mom and stepdad (who had come to the hospital with us) got left in the dust things were moving so quick (don't worry, we caught up with them later). Our time in pre op lasted until about 9:15. Everything in here ran like clockwork, checking the vitals, family history, ultrasound to confirm that he was still breach, etc, etc. Dr. Payne showed up about 8:45 to check in and see how Kristy was doing.

After preop was finished, Kristy was moved to the OR to receive the spinal block (similar to epidural, but quicker and more numbing). I was taken to the recovery room to wait since the procedure was done in a sterile environment so I could not be present. At about 9:30 I was told I could join her. This 15 minutes was the hardest time of the day for me. I couldn't see Kristy to ensure everything was ok, and I really wanted to be there. I just had to turn her over to God and let him take control (which I should have done from the beginning).

After I got set up in my observation position, they were ready to go. Kristy had requested a mirror so that she could see him coming out, which worked out brilliantly. Dr. Payne and his staff worked quickly and efficiently to get our little guy out. As stated previously, he was born at 9:51. The took him over to the warmer to get cleaned up and get the vitals, etc while they stitched Kristy back up. This was the longest part of the surgery, and I was able to bounce back and forth between Josh and Kristy as everything was developing.

They eventually brought him over for Kristy to see, and the look of joy on her face is one that I will never forget. We were both really excited to meet our little guy and both got emotional (I know, a shock for me). After Kristy was stitched back up by the doctors, we were taken to the recovery room for about an hour and a half.

To be continued in part 2...

1 comment:

Erin said...

nope, it's not a shock to me that you guys got emotional. it's a BIG moment for you! :)