Today we made great strides in getting Josh to breast feed. We started out the day, and he was struggling to latch on and get the food he needs. A lactation consultant came in to the room at about 10am or so and help Josh (and us really) learn a few important things. He was, however, just circumcised earlier in the morning, and they had given him some Tylenol for the pain (I would have asked for something a little stronger!) which was making him a little drowsy and not too interested in nursing. The consultant did highlight that he had learned a few important things. The next time he fed at 1pm reflected these things and he really started latching much better. Both mom and dad are learning what we can do to help facilite his feeding and I have a feeling that this will continue on for the weeks to come.
Each feeding there after built upon these skills that have been learned and both Josh and mom have been doing an amazing job. A new wrinkle was introduced during the current feeding (1am), as Josh was brought into the room from the nursary ready to feed and starting crying uncontrollably. Of course Kristy and I were both sound asleep, and it took us a few minutes wake up, so trying get Josh settled down to take to the breast took us a while. There are some things that you can't be prepared for as a parent, and one of those is how much it breaks your heart to hear your child crying uncontrollably and there doesn't seem to be anything you can do to fix it. He finally settled down and is now feeding well.
Outside of those events, Kristy made great progress and was able to have her catheter and IV taken out and has been up and walking about. Her incision has been painful at times and she has been on medicine throughout the day to help facilitate the pain. Dad got a few hour break as Grandma Wannamacher came over in the afternoon to allow me to go back to the house for a bit. I was able to get a little rest and get some things done for work.
Also, there were more guests that came and we really enjoyed seeing all of them as much as they saw Josh. I was great, especially, to see my grandma and grandpa Davis show up. This was a surprise and truly a great visit. There were also some friends from Bible study and church that came and I know Kristy enjoyed seeing them as I was still away from the hospital for most of them.
Many people have been asking, and I've been feeling much better. I had a small muffin for breakfast and then had lunch at 3pm today. My stomach has certainly been more settled down.
I'll try to get some more pictures posted up shortly.
Ken
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment