Day 3 was filled with more visitors, including Josh's grandma and grandpa Lawrance, who drove down from North Webster for a visit.
Overnight, Josh started nursing a lot better, so we didn't get as much sleep last night. He came into our room for a 4am feeding, and we decided to keep him in our room afterwards, since the doctors started making their rounds at about 6am. He was a bit fussy the rest of the night, then totally zonked out for the morning. I took the opportunity to go back to the house and get a shower and a little sleep. Grandma Kaylene and Ron came back to the hospital to be with Kristy while I was gone.
I also went to the Fishers Police Department to get our car seat install checked out, and mom and dad did something right and got the car seat installed correctly the first time. I then came back to the hospital just in time to say goodbye to grandma Kaylene and Ron as they were headed back to Fort Wayne. While I was gone, one of the lactation consultants came back into Kristy's room again and gave some more good assistance. Josh seemed to be turning the corner on this nursing thing!
My parents came later in the afternoon and met Josh for the first time. They were excited to meet him and wished they could have come to meet him earlier. Friends Jenn Chester and Steve and April Brown also came for a visit and enjoyed meeting the little guy.
The big news of the day came after everyone left and Josh got his weigh in. The bad news is that Josh was down to 5 lbs, 9 oz, or 1 pound less than his birth weight. This meant that he had lost 15% of his weight, which is well above the 10% max that they try to keep it under. We took action immediately to supplement his feeding with formula, which is something that we really did not want to do; however, we need to get Josh's weight up. We gave him 15 mL of formula via a syringe / feeding tube attached to Kristy's finger. This was the closest option to simulate the breast to prevent nipple confusion.
Any prayers you can lift up for us will be appreciated. This has been an emotional experience for us, especially for Kristy who feels like its her fault, even though it is not. Please pray for Kristy's milk to come in and for Joshua to start gaining weight with the formula supplement. Hopefully once Kristy's milk comes in then he will have enough to sustain without formula.
I'll try to get more pictures posted up sometime tonight / tomorrow morning.
Ken
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
Don't be depressed, it takes awhile for milk to come in especially for a first time mom and especially for a c-section. It really will come in and things really will get better. Keep trying to nurse as often as possible because that will make the milk come in faster. Don't be depressed about supplementing with formula because things will get better when the milk gets in. Listen to the lactation consultant for all the advice you can get while you are in the hospital and don't be afraid to call her after you go home if you have any more problems. You're in our prayers.
I agree with Ewe. With Katelynn it took 6 days for my milk to come in. She was home by then and would sleep through feedings...I was really freaked out. We called the pediatrician's office and they said that my pain medication was making her sleep, so I had to switch to formula for a few days until I finished the pain meds. Then I switched back to nursing and she picked it up just fine.
With Abby I think it was about 5 days or so before it came in again. Only that time I was supplementing with formula and the pediatrician's office (a different one this time) thought that she wasn't gaining enough weight. I think we had to take her in a week after that and she was back to where she was supposed to be, percentage wise.
Kristy, you are doing a great job, momma! You ARE!!! I know how you feel and what you're going through. Your milk WILL come in (and it will be unmistakable, believe me) and Josh will gain weight and do better with nursing. I know you're probably thinking, where do I fit in in all of this, Ken, but you are Kristy's biggest cheerleader! The hormones don't make us think very clearly sometimes. You guys are doing great! Call me if you need anything, Kristy! I'm here to listen. :) Have a good first day at home!
Post a Comment