Friday, March 5, 2010

A new kind of love


What a week! Ken has mentioned my emotions. Apparently, I have full permission to blame these on hormones. (And will do so as long as possible!)

The emotion that has interested me the most is love. I've had a huge lesson in love this week. I never knew that I could fall in love with someone so quickly as I've fallen in love with this child. Ken described my sorrow last night over Josh's loss in weight. I would not have been so upset if I didn't love our baby so much.

I was expecting that lesson in love. The one that surprised me was the other lesson. I have fallen more in love with my husband this week. Ken and I have been married 4.5 years, but our love reached a new level this week with the birth of our child.

I saw it:
-As he held my hand through surgery
-In the tears of joy in his eyes at the birth of our son
-As he snuggled his newborn
-In the huge smiles on his face as he holds Josh
-As he proudly presented his little buddy to our guests
-As he changed almost every diaper his son dirtied- and then taught me how to best diaper our boy
-As he cheered on my breastfeeding and participated in the lactation consultations so that he could help support me in the process
-As he finger fed Josh to help in his weight gain
-As he weighed Josh after each step in the feeding process to determine how much food he was getting

I had the privilege of watching my husband take on the new title of daddy. It was a beautiful transformation. I couldn't have a better man raising my son.

Josh, you follow in your daddy's footsteps!

3 comments:

Meggan said...

oh my gosh! This totally moved me to tears! I'm so happy for you guys!

Meggan said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Missy said...

What a sweet reflection! :) I'm really excited for you guys and your new chapter in life!