Saturday, January 6, 2007

Husbands love your wives . . .

. . . just as Christ loved the church. This small piece of scripture from Paul to the ephesians has a greater meaning to me today than it did yesterday. You see, at about 7 o'clock this morning I dropped Kristy off at the airport for her return to the US. We said our goodbyes and gave our hugs and kisses and after she went through security I got back in the taxi to return to the hotel. It wasn't until then that it set in that I will not see her for another 4 weeks. I will not ruturn to the US until the beginning of February.

So after I returned to the hotel and ate breakfast I went back to sleep (it's been tough to sleep with this jet lag). I was sitting in bed thinking about the weekend ahead and realized that I will not get to share any of it with Kristy. To be honest, it was difficult to get up. I think it's easy to realize that I took for granted the four days that we spent together over here prior to her departure. I did not cherish her as if I would never see her again. To me, that is what loving your wife as Christ loved the church is all about, loving her as if I will not see her again. It is not until someone is gone that you realize how much you truly love and will miss her. Kristy, I apologize for falling short in this the past couple of days. (*TO CLARIFY - Kristy and I did not get in any fights, I just don't thing I fully appreciated and cherished her while she was here. Sorry for the confusion to those that read into this *)

So to all the married men out there, I challenge you to take a few moments to reflect on the past week with your wife. If she were to leave today for the next month, would you have regret about how your treated her? Would you regret holding back your true affection because of the daily grind of life? Please, men, take this time to share your love with your wife and cherish her as if she will be gone for the next month. Because if and when that time comes, you don't want to have any regrets. Trust me!

On a lighter note, through the miracles of technology, I will be watching the Colts game today and cheering them to a victory over KC. Only problem is it starts at 10:30 tonight over here and it will probably be blurry on my computer. But hey, at least I'll get to see it. Gotta love technology!

Ken

No comments: