Tuesday, January 9, 2007

The Wonders of Technology

As I mentioned at the end of my last post, I was going to watch the Colts game that evening, albeit at 10:30 pm. I was able to do this through a magical device called a Slingbox. This great contraption takes an output from your TV, Satellite receiver, etc and connects to your home router. The box has it's own IP address and then streams the video from the TV. For those none technological people out there, this is a way to send your TV signal to your computer anywhere in the world that you have a high speed internet connection. It even has a remote control that pops up on the screen to change the channels and see the TV guide!

Unfortunately due to the upload speed that I have at home, the game appeared a bit fuzzy (lots of fast movements). But, I was still able to watch it and enjoyed seeing the Colts annihalate the Chiefs.The slingbox is definitely very helpful in these few weeks that I am by myself over here, as it helps keep me from going crazy. Although, I think it can be a bit of a crutch that keeps me from exploring and getting lost on my own, which would help with my familiarity with my new city.

No comments: