I've grown to dispise Wal-mart. Over the past year + that I've lived in Lawrence, I've learned to go anywhere else to do my shopping if possible. This is mostly due to the fact that you're guarenteed to wait 15 minutes minimum in line if you are buying something no matter what time of day you shop. There are just never enough cashiers available. This can be really frustrating, especially if you only have three things to buy!
In talking to a colleague of mine that was over here 3 years ago, he said that he and his wife did all their grocery shopping at the Wal-mart in Hamburg. I was actually thinking that Wal-mart might be a blessing for us until I read this press release that said that Wal-mart was selling and getting out of Germany. Apparently they miscalculated their odds of surviving in Germany. When I first came over here I thought that there would be no Wal-mart option. Then I remember in my first or second week here driving by a Wal-mart, but had no idea where it was located at (I had zero knowledge of the city at the time). So my mission this weekend was to find the Wal-mart, and more importantly, determine if it was all it was cracked up to be.
Mission: Successful! It turns out that with a simple google search and a little guesswork to the german website, I was able to find the location of two Wal-marts that are in Hamburg. Apparently even though Wal-mart sold their stores here, the names, and more important the products, are staying in the stores (at least for now). So I took a trip to Wally World this afternoon and to my gratification, there were more American branded products then I had seen over here yet. I think Kristy may be able to cook me some dinner over here now without having to totally learn a whole new way of cooking! Honestly though, after shopping at the Aldi last weekend I was a little concerned about how we would eat over here, as the selection of food was MUCH different that what we have in the US (honestly, who drinks warm milk anyway?). But never fail; Wal-mart to the rescue. I thought I'd never say that!
Ken
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

4 comments:
really Ken - half the fun of living overseas is learning new foods - and this from the gal who figured she'd live on rice ONLY when in China!
yeah, I realize that, but at the same time, it would be nice to ease into new foods / be able to have a little home cooking! Don't get me wrong, thus far German food has been great (perhaps too good :) ), but there will be times when I want something different.
Don't forget that we can send you care packages too! :)
Ken, I am with you on the Wal-Mart thing. Of course, I would be lost without Costco. Your mom is right about the new foods in other places. You know what they say "when in Rome...". Hope you get to enjoy sauerkraut, mettwurst, etc.
Have a great trip to scuba land.
BTW, the Dogs are still kicking it. #10 and climbing.
Post a Comment