Thursday, January 4, 2007

Questions

Thank you all for your responses via e-mail and posts to this blog. It really makes me feel like I can remain close to home. Technology is SUCH a blessing.


Ken and I have also gotten a number of questions. I thought I'd answer them for everyone.


1.) How long will you be in Germany?

We will be in Germany for about a year. Ken's process (see #4) will go live in December 2007. We'll then have to stay while he and the team make sure that everything is running smoothly. That should take a month or two.


2.) Will Kristy work?

I will probably not be able to work because I will not have a work visa. It is hard to get one if you do not have company that will sponsor you. For other jobs, you have to have a skill that a German cannot do. If a German cannot do it, the next option is a resident of the European Union. Since Germany has a 10% unemployment rate and I don't really have any professional skills that are transferrable to this country, I am going to be a student. I'm going to try to take as many German classes as possible. My goal would be to come back to the States fluent.


3.) Do you know German?

We both took Spanish in high school. We will take German classes here. It is so weird. I am remembering TONS of Spanish. You know that you need a non-English word and what pops into the brain is your "first second language". I am coming up with Spanish words that I haven't thought about in a decade. Aduana (customs) and estrella (star) are two of the most absurd.


4.) What will Ken be doing?

I'll let Ken explain this one. I get it wrong every time I try to explain it.
"I'll be the process engineer working on the team at the National Starch Hamburg plant to install a new process to expand the world wide capacity for the production of thermally treated (as opposed to chemically treated) starch. This starch behaves much the same as our chemically treated starches, but since it is treated thermally it is allow to be "clean label" ie, labeled on food products as "Food Starch," rather than "Food Starch Modified." This is especially important in Europe and organic foods. My role will be to perform the process design of the associated equipment and perfoming the hazard analyses and testing of the control system. Sorry for all the geek speak. Clear as mud, right?"
See why I didn't try to answer that one?
Kristy

No comments: