
Since we couldn't go flat-hunting today, we slept in and then went on a boat tour on the Elbe and canals. It was in German, so all we could do was look.
Being the midwestern girl that I am, I have very little experience with the shipping industry. Sure I've been to the ocean, but I've never really experienced the maritime shipping industry. Hamburg is one of the two biggest container ports in northern Europe (along with Rotterdam, Netherlands). I did not know what a "container port" was. I would describe the containers like the back of a semi. Some of the ships hold upwards of 9000 of these. My pictures didn't turn out well due to the windows of the boat. I've attached a picture that Ken took the other day from the top of St. Michel's to show the cranes that do the loading and unloading.Kristy

3 comments:
Howdy! I assume that you two will be on your way back to the States here shortly. Hopefully you were able to get some answers from the HR people either in Hamburg or Kleve. I know that it really seems that things are dragging on with getting you taken care of and settled in, but believe me the experience is worth it. Just hang in there for this first part. It does get better.
Ken, I must admit that I'm probably one of the only ones that understood what you wrote about what you're going to be doing. For anyone else reading this, that is a very watered down version...but to the point.
Like I've told you before, if I can be of any help, just let me know. You've got my number. Best wishes to you both and give our regards to the people at the International Church of Hamburg if that is where you choose to go. Find Menchie (Phillipino woman who is married to Wolfgang - a German of course!) They are great people.
Best wishes,
Jeremy and Jennifer
Ken and Kristy:
I keep reading, then forgetting to comment! I think it's wonderful that you've found (and are obviously using) this way to keep all of us "posted" on your adventure in Germany. Always know that your situation is in God's hands, and our prayers. Many continued blessings as you work to set up your time in Germany. I look forward to reading everything you post!
Pacem,
Mark B.
I hope that you will be able to find a flat that is to your liking. John and I were so excited when we were in China to find a place with an elevator so that we didn't have to climb 6 flights of stairs. I will be interested to see the size of your place. We always had nice living and bedrooms but the kitchen was so small, like the size of a closet, because no one cooked there ever.
That should be a lot of fun for you Kristy to be taking classes. I remember thinking of Spanish words and not Chinse words and being frustrated by that. Of course I always had people wantd to speak English to me so that helped. Are there signs there in both languages?
Post a Comment